Saturday, October 25, 2008

An Apology

I'm sorry I've not been posting recently. I've not been well.
I started studying medicine at the end of last month and, a few weeks in, I started feeling really tired all the time. Not just a bit stressed, a little worn out due to the sudden onset of work where before there had been none - more a complete lack of energy, and inability to concentrate, a struggle to stay awake whenever I sat down for even a moment, hours spent staring into space, mind blank. No matter how well I slept each night I'd wake up feeling like I was crushed under a sack of rocks, then I'd carry those rocks around until my classes ended, at which point I'd go straight home and into bed because there was no way I'd be able to concentrate on the books full of jargon that all medical students must peruse on a regular basis, let alone carry on with all the other things I loved like my hobbies, working with the Glasgow Feminist Network (who are back after a summer break! Hopefully I'll be actively involved with them again soon) and, of course, posting to this blog.
This all reached a head a few days ago when, trying to study the immune system within the context of transplants and being unable to absorb any information no matter how hard I tried, I just broke down and sobbed. A bit alarming for me, considering I've never cried outwith the context of death, extreme pain or heartbreak.
Anyway, it's finally pushed me to go and see a doctor. Last time I visited the GP he put me off the place entirely so I've arranged to see a new one in a different practise. Hopefully they'll be able to help me out there. In the meantime, I'll do my best to think of something interesting to say upon my return.

Oh! Another thing! I'll also be co-blogging with Becca at Ramblings of Today's Yoof! I'll be doing my normal feminist ranting but also hope to go into other things that interest me, such as health, society, science and silly little things that get me through the day. Becca's already kicking off with some interesting articles that she's found, so do go over and have a look.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've not been feeling well. I know it's a bad idea for anyone else to diagnose you, but I think it might be of some use to you to look at chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomiolitis as I think it's called in UK. Many other things must be ruled out before you could sit with this diagnosis, but I came down with it four years ago and your description is SO reminiscent of my symptoms. I think what freaked me out most was the inability to take in information and process it. And how quickly it came on. Then it didn't help that no one diagnosed me for ages and doctors kept telling me I was depressed when I didn't feel I was. It's dangerous not to look at the other possible causes of the symptoms but it's also dangerous not to consider this possibility. It's a depressing illness, but it can be overcome. It took me awhile but I'm better than I was. All the best - I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs*

    I hope you feel better soon. I really hope you get to see a doctor that takes you seriously though. I've been lucky with mine, but I know they can be absolutely awful especially towards women ("it's psychosomatic"... yeah, that's why I've run out of painkillers).

    ReplyDelete