Thursday, October 04, 2007

I can totally sympathise with this.

From Crimitism, the way procrastination works:

  • Open Word.
  • Stare.
  • Get up.
  • Alphabetise DVD collection.
  • Re-organise DVD collection by genre, ensuring there is no distinction between animation and live action. That “animation” is considered a genre is a pet peeve of mine, as if DearS and My Neighbour Totoro belong in the same room, let alone the same shelf.
  • Realise I haven’t done any work.
  • Have panic attack.
  • Watch The Seventh Seal to cheer myself up.
  • Re-organise Doctor Who DVDs, CDs and novels in chronological order, based on the time period that the story is set in, purely because I know it will take the longest possible time and require me to cross-reference various continuity guides.
  • Realise what I’ve done.
  • Collapse into abyss of self-loathing.
  • At least it’s not Dragonball Z.
  • Feel marginally better.
  • Write paper on snake symbolism throughout history, beginning with the Mahabharata and ending with Metal Gear Solid.
  • Try writing new blog update.
  • Delete it.
  • Start again.
  • Give up.
  • Consider enrolling in another course after I graduate.
  • Realise that the course I want to do next year requires units I’ve already finished, and whether or not I complete this degree is irrelevant.
  • Ponder whether “I have three unfinished degrees” makes me look like a broadly-knowledgeable journeyman or just a directionless waste of biomass.
  • Stress-induced illnesses say: Who cares!
  • Download application form.


Replace 'DVD re-organising' with 'Room tidying' and you get a rough idea of what I'm like whenever I have something more important to attend to. Application forms, unstudied texts, thankyou letters to write, blog post ideas piling up... I think I'll get mum a cup of tea instead!

2 comments:

  1. I saw that too! I think we're all a bit like that from time to time.

    Reminds me of an old routine Ben Elton used to do about Sunday night before going back to school on Monday - you've still got all your homework to do for the morning, your books are out and everything, but you feel an overwhelming compulsion to spend hours and hours trying to balance a pencil on top of an eraser instead of doing any work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *still* haven't filled out the application. I'm using it as a bookmark.

    ReplyDelete